Total games played: 627

Current Streak: 43

Longest Streak: 228

Comments Made: 1,337

Badge Team

USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  5:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So SFIV is out and I have been able to sink my teeth into the game for about 2 1/2 days of straight gaming. So I have a pretty good grasp on it and here is my review:

Story:

So seriously does anyone need this? there is a Tournement to find the best fighter in the world. Everyone has back stories that we all should be familiar with: Lone traveling warrior, The warrior out for revenge, the one wanting to dominate the world. They backstory and the end story is told via Anime which isn't too bad but not as stylized as the Udon Comics or the game it self. But this is not why we play the game is it no.

Controls:

Here is the bread and butter of the game. What would make and break the game espically a fighter. The good news is that they are tight. The bad news is that its a near must to own a SFIV control pad or a Stick (I have a modded Hori EX2). The D-Pad on the 360 controller is let be honest here absolute crap. If you don't have the budget or already don't have one then please use the joystick on the controller not the D-Pad.

Gameplay:

Its a really deep fighter. There is a lot to do in this game. You have a lot to unlock including the fighters. The unlocking is something as simple as beating the game with a certain fighter or beating the game and getting a perfect without using a continue (Akuma) to the hard at the time beating the game without a continue getting at least one perfect and getting several Ultimate finish (Gouken). Then there is a survial mode that has gives you different effect on the match (full EX or Revenge meters or life not regerating after the match) which adds a lot to the game. There are several levels for each step of survial mode. Then their is Time Attack which is exactly what it sounds like.

Oh and lets not forget the Online play. I have play a lot of games. The good news is that I only experienced lag once maybe twice. The controls are perfect and the gameplay is what you want. Its easy to find the a match which is great. The last thing this needed was a GOW2 fiasco.

An added feature to the game is the ability to have other people jump in a game when you are playing the arcade. Its fun when you are just BSing it but it gets annoying when you are going for that one thing to unlock someone or beat the game with that one character (Fei Long I am looking at you) and your almost there but then you get the HERE Comes a new challenger. Its annoying but you can turn it off.

Achievements:
These are some good ones. They are time consuming and tough but they are actually achievements. You feel rewarded when you get the all medals acheivement (unlock all medal types). Or when you beat the game on normal with everyone (Still working on it stupid Fei Long). Its good times. The online ones are easily boosted but the Trials achievements on Hard will be diffucult and most likely the last that you will get.

Final Word:
Great fun game. If you like fighters go get this. If you like old school Street Fighter games then you will welcome IV with open arms. Its really a 3D throw back to Street Fighter II. It felt natural when you were playing. If you have any experience at SF then you will get accustomed to the controls really quick. Its a great fun game. I fore see me being addicted to this for a long time.

Must Buy

MEGAJAMZ

Zone: Pro

Total games played: 344

Current Streak: 0

Longest Streak: 138

Senior Gamer

United Kingdom
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  07:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit MEGAJAMZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
iv played it a bit and i just ... i dunno theres something about it that i dont like
each to their own i guess

Go to Top of Page

joshnorm

Badge Team

USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  2:00:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MEGAJAMZ

iv played it a bit and i just ... i dunno theres something about it that i dont like
each to their own i guess

What is it that you don't like specificly? I know that I loved the fact that its really a throw back. IMO it feels like a SFII with a new coat of paint and a few tweeks which is perfect by me.

Go to Top of Page

MEGAJAMZ

Total games played: 344

Longest Streak: 138

Senior Gamer

United Kingdom
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  3:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit MEGAJAMZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
im not 100% sure what it was i just couldnt enjoy it haha.
it is really nostalgic and i did love the feel of it being like sfII but i just personally couldnt get into it haha.

Go to Top of Page

porschephiliac

Zone: Recreation

Total games played: 584

Longest Streak: 2429

USA
4009 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  3:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit porschephiliac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am ready for the nostalgia of it. I played the stink out many Street Fight games all these years, and am looking forward to the HD upgrade, and next gen ideas. Thanks for the uplifting review.

Official 360Voice Welcome Liaison | Unoffical 360Voice WP7 Liaison

Support My Wife: Bean's Things, Nature Inspired Hand-made Jewelry and Home Decor!
Type 360Voice in comments for discount!
Go to Top of Page

Palon

Zone: Underground

Total games played: 166

Current Streak: 61

Longest Streak: 70

Junior Gamer

USA
96 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  08:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Palon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you still compete well with just the 360 joystick? If it is completely necessary to buy another controller just for this game, that would ruin it for me.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Mcdougal

Total games played: 327

Current Streak: 55

Longest Streak: 211

Advanced Gamer

3749 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  12:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Mcdougal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That fightpad controller they sell for this looks awesome. I'll probably get it and use it for a lot of other games too (arcade games) that don't need a right analog, but the fact that the triggers are mapped to the face could be a problem for some things.

Prizerebel: FREE MS points & games for filling out forms (use an email address for spam)
I have earned over $235 in Gift Cards, Microsoft Points, and LIVE from here!
SwagBucks is the EASIEST freebie site around. Just use their search engine!
I have received $390 in Amazon.com credit already!

Tribes: Ascend - An awesome free-to-play FPS for PC...with jetpacks!
Go to Top of Page

joshnorm

Badge Team

USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  08:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Palon

Can you still compete well with just the 360 joystick? If it is completely necessary to buy another controller just for this game, that would ruin it for me.

Yes but the Xbox controller isn't the best for fighting games. I was playing with the regular controller while my daughter was sleeping on me (couldnt get the stick over to the couch) and it worked it just wasn't as good, but still do able.

Go to Top of Page

joshnorm

Badge Team

USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  08:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mcdougal

That fightpad controller they sell for this looks awesome. I'll probably get it and use it for a lot of other games too (arcade games) that don't need a right analog, but the fact that the triggers are mapped to the face could be a problem for some things.

FYI they are limited so if you see one grab them. I don't think they are going to get manufactored after the run....But they are nice. I have a Ken because I am a fighter fan and that controller screams Samurai Showdown and other 2D fighters (Battle Fantasia)

the only problem is that its a corded stick. So you only get 8 feet (which is fine normally but with my lazyboy puts it out of reach so no SFIV controller and comfortable sitting for me)

Go to Top of Page

a1a1a1

Zone: None

Total games played:

Longest Streak: 0

Starting Gamer

0 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  11:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got SFIV last night, and I've gotta say, I'm not sold on it at all...

A lot of reviews claims that this is a very simple game... but it's not... it's actually really complicated... like SFIII complicated...
Go to Top of Page

TF Legolas

Total games played: 233

Longest Streak: 55

Average Gamer

USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  11:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting review.
Go to Top of Page

joshnorm

Badge Team

USA
922 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  4:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GTCv Deimos

I just got SFIV last night, and I've gotta say, I'm not sold on it at all...

A lot of reviews claims that this is a very simple game... but it's not... it's actually really complicated... like SFIII complicated...

Well it is pretty deep. But I don't think SFIII Deep that was insane. I mean any game that you can pick a character (Zangief) and press RB or LB for the win on HARD shouldn't be too bad

Go to Top of Page

a1a1a1

Zone: None

Total games played:

Longest Streak: 0

Starting Gamer

0 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  5:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A game with Two different super meters, roman cancels, EX moves, the new crush system, three button supers, and ultra sensative combos... that's not deep... that's complicated.

SFIII is a good example of a deep game.
Go to Top of Page

Lobo BiZARro 3D

Total games played:

Longest Streak: 361

Advanced Gamer

USA
1902 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  02:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I found it quite simple. You get beat up, you fill Ultra meter, you lay down, you fill Super meter... Pull specials with 3P or 3K for an Ex-super move... MP+MK (Hold for charge) and you get a Super Move(If timed right which is not hard to do)/Block Breaker attack.

I got it all on Round 1. The only thing killing me is the Xbox 360 controller.

Wii FC: 8774-7364-4516-9419 - Mario Kart Wii: 2578-3571-8039 - SSBB: 4639-9612-6846 - MH Tri: Lobo/76JCVY
TrueAchievement - MeetAGamer - GamerDNA - Twitter
CAD Comic Fan Group - Zune Owners Group
Go to Top of Page

Chrome30

Total games played:

Longest Streak: 590

Events Team

USA
2922 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  09:12:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fact that you can set your controller up how you want it makes this game super easy. I have all 3 punches mapped to the X button and pull Ultras like breathing. All the other moves are super easy too. It just takes getting use to with canceling EX moves into Focus attacks into super combos etc. After you get the hang of it it is so fun and easy. Love this game.

Go to Top of Page

joshnorm

Badge Team

USA
922 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  09:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GTCv Deimos

A game with Two different super meters, roman cancels, EX moves, the new crush system, three button supers, and ultra sensative combos... that's not deep... that's complicated.

SFIII is a good example of a deep game.

SFIII was decent. But it had a lot of flaws if I remeber right hence why they did 3 versions to fix some of them. But I thought the controls were great. IF you didn't want to get deep or complicated then you didn't have too. Ryu's move is still the same since the second game. If you wanted to go more into it then yea go for it learn how to cancel moves and bring into other ones but you don't have to.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
360voice Community © 2006 360voice.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000